Redcore Linux Project Forum

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Redcore Linux is. You have to see it for yourself!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-17 19:11:39

Kaiser

Base System Image?

I love everything about this distro EXCEPT that its pre-packaged with Xorg and KDE. I'd love to have a completely blank slate similar to an arch install to be able to build off of. Is there anyway we can make this happen? Otherwise I'll have to manually remove the pieces I don't want which means i'll likely miss something or break my whole system...

#2 2023-05-18 02:34:05

PerfMonk

Re: Base System Image?

Personnally I think that if you want to build from a basic system, you should go for Gentoo and then add your favorite desktop.

There may be possibility to use stuff from the git and recycle it to build your own version of Redcore.  But Redcore is a KDE Plasma distro by choice.

I still think that you should go for Gentoo or just use Arch the Arch way.

Regards,
            Bernard

#3 2023-05-18 09:49:59

Kaiser

I understand your perspective but what I'm saying is I quite enjoy the sisyphus package manager. I enjoy the mentality behind the Redcore mission. If I just download gentoo, I wouldn't be here asking for QOL improvement. The thing about this whole distro is understanding who your audience really is. Redcore is supposed to be a stable intro to the Gentoo enviornment/world correct? Sisyphus is designed to be a simple, easy to use, front end to the Portage system to dip your toes gently into Gentoo. But the only people who are gonna be interested in that, and really further develop the system in the first place, are your intermediate -> advanced users. A new user will look at something like Ubuntu or Mint, PopOS, or even Manjaro. Redcore's key demographic should be your Arch users, or Gentoo users who want the choice of simplicity or control.

And again this is really just a request for a QOL. I believe it could serve as an invitation for potential users who may also be interested in the system but don't want to be locked into the KDE environment. Anyone who is willing to download Redcore as a base system will be your advanced users anyway which means you're increasing your average knowledge potential in your community of users. That's a major benefit in terms of longevity and sustainment.

#4 2023-05-24 18:36:42

V3n3RiX
Administrator

I am considering releasing a basic system image in the future. For the time being, you can do the following to leave you with a barebone, stage4 system :

emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/00.fonts.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/01.themes.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/02.sound.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/03.tools.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/04.xbase.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/05.xdrivers.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/06.kdebase.set|grep -v generated)
emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/07.kdeextra.set|grep -v generated)

followed by

sisyphus autoremove

This will remove most of the packages, including X, KDE, some system tools, whatever, in a safe manner and leave you with a very minimal system. Of course, you don't have to remove all package sets, you may want to keep some around. Look in /etc/portage/sets for a list of preinstalled packages.

#5 2023-06-02 18:43:21

zotek1

Thank you for this thread, I too find KDE rather alien as I am used to Openbox/Fluxbox distros. I miss the simplicity of a WM, and particularly as I use keyboard shortcuts extensively (due to RSI) I find KDE to be rather cumbersome.

This is not really a criticism, as I do like the distro a lot, just adding my opinion to the above.

Thank you anyway for providing an excellent intro to Gentoo!

#6 2023-06-16 14:09:46

Red_Eric
Banned

Hi

Thanks kaiser this is exactly what i need to make my server hadened with an configured kernel for my laptop

Thanks V3n3RiX for these lines of code. For my part alone will not uninstall "emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/04.xbase.set|grep -v generated)" and "emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/05.xdrivers.set|grep -v generated)" because I need it to see my remote wordpress with Mobaxterm and its X forwarding.
You say in the home landing page << we can't expect to find a server application in the repository (apache, lighttpd, mysql, nginx, etc.) >> and that's what I need.
Question :
Can we with sisyphus install Apache2 php5 and myssql, their dependencies and their dev possibly ? smile

With my thanks and waiting for your reply big_smile

best regards wink

Eric

always going forward

#7 2023-06-21 15:10:33

Myst

@Red_Eric #6,

I'm about to try to emerge --deselect, for a no-X Redcore. In relation to your question

"Can we with sisyphus install Apache2 php5 and myssql, their dependencies and their dev possibly ? "

Use " sisyphus install dev-perl/Apache2-AuthenNTLM -e  dev-lang/php -e "

*  dev-perl/Apache2-AuthenNTLM
      Latest version available: 0.20.0-r3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 51 KiB
      Homepage:      https://metacpan.org/release/Apache2-AuthenNTLM
      Description:   Perform Microsoft NTLM and Basic User Authentication
      License:       || ( Artistic GPL-1+ )

dev-lang/php
      Latest version available: 8.2.7-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 11,736 KiB
      Homepage:      https://www.php.net/
      Description:   The PHP language runtime engine
      License:       PHP-3.01 BSD Zend-2.0 bcmath? ( LGPL-2.1+ ) fpm? ( BSD-2 ) gd? ( gd ) unicode? ( BSD-2 LGPL-2.1 )

sisyphus search myssql -e
[ Applications found : 5 ]

all of them are "ebuilds' or source packages, as above add the " -e " after the pkg name & this will install them from the source. As they are not binaries compiled by Redcorelinux, but come directly from Gentoo source packages, try to keep away from using "emerge" to compile packages. They become classed as aliens. Aliens may lead to the system becoming unstable.
If unsure reach out to "V3n3RiX" here or at #redcorelinux @ libera.chat

I hope this was helpful. Even though it's a month later.

Myst.

#8 2023-06-22 09:01:17

Myst

Just confirming this works from a fresh install, prior to running any updates. Rebooted logged-in from TTY1 as Root #. Now running updates.  No need to modify the Lan settings.

Cheers, & Thanks V3n3RiX.

Hardware Mac Mini late 2011 I7-2nd gen 12 GB ram.
The installer identified the 2 Broadcom Ethernet & wifi drivers & both functioned correctly.

#9 2023-06-25 10:40:20

Myst

hey V3,

I successfully removed plasma and returned  RC, to a base system, But I'm unable to run the updates & upgrade from a fresh install. I've even tried reinstalling "sisyphus and sisyphus-qt", but to no vail, when you have time can you please look at my errors & sysinfo.

Thanks, Myst.

sisyphus update && sisyphus upgrade

Source package(s) found in the mix!

Use 'sisyphus upgrade --ebuild'
rc-ms ~ # sisyphus upgrade -e
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sisyphus", line 301, in <module>
    app()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/typer/main.py", line 213, in __call__
    return get_command(self)()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py", line 829, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py", line 782, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1259, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1066, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/click/core.py", line 610, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/typer/main.py", line 496, in wrapper
    return callback(**use_params)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/bin/sisyphus", line 216, in upgrade
    sisyphus.upgrade.estart()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sisyphus/upgrade.py", line 112, in estart
    os.chdir(sisyphus.getfs.portageCacheDir)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/cache/packages'
rc-ms ~ # sisyphus sysinfo
Portage 3.0.44 (python 3.10.10-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/hardened, gcc-12, glibc-2.36-r5, 6.1.12-redcore-lts x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-6.1.12-redcore-lts-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-2635QM_CPU_@_2.00GHz-with-glibc2.36
KiB Mem:    12179216 total,  11099096 free
KiB Swap:          0 total,         0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 05:45:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: e4cd098fab4f141df4d2fd24dfdc9b5f223c694b

Head commit of repository redcore: a08f47120d4914ab33c280f0015cdb23ae07f900

sh bash 5.2_p15-r2
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.39 p5) 2.39.0
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.7::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.2_p15-r2::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.36.0-r2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.10.10_p1::gentoo
dev-lang/rust:             1.67.1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:            3.25.2::gentoo
dev-util/meson:            1.0.0::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.8-r2::redcore
sys-apps/openrc:           0.46-r1::redcore
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.30-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:        2.71-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:        1.16.5::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.39-r4::redcore
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5::gentoo
sys-devel/clang:           15.0.7-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             12.2.1_p20230121-r1::redcore
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.10::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:         2.4.7-r1::redcore
sys-devel/llvm:            15.0.7::gentoo
sys-devel/make:            4.4::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  6.1::redcore (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.36-r5::redcore
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://pagure.io/redcore/portage.git
    priority: 1
    volatile: True

redcore
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://pagure.io/redcore/redcore-desktop.git
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 1000
    volatile: True

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -pipe -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-deprecated -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fno-plt -fstack-protector-strong -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection=full"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -pipe -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-deprecated -Wno-deprecated-declarations -fno-plt -fstack-protector-strong -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection=full"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg buildpkg-live candy compressdebug config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fakeroot fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch parallel-install pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms splitdebug strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/"
INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd               /usr/lib/systemd               /usr/lib64/systemd               /usr/lib/debug               /usr/lib64/debug               /etc/portage"
LANG="en_GB.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro"
LEX="flex"
LINGUAS="ach af af_ZA ak am an ar ar_JO ar_SA ar_SY as ast az be be_BY bg bg_BG bn bn_BD bn_IN bo br brx bs byn ca ca_ES ca_XV ckb cmn co crh cs cs_CZ csb cy cy_GB da da_DK de de_CH de_DE dgo doi dz ee el el_GR en en_AU en_CA en_EN en_GB en_US en_ZA eo eo_UY es es_419 es_AR es_CL es_CO es_DO es_ES es_LA es_MX es_UY es_VE et et_EE eu eu_ES fa fa_IR fi fi_FI fil fo fr fr_CA fr_FR frp fur fy fy_NL ga ga_IE gd gez gl gl_ES gu gu_IN gug haw he he_IL hi hi_IN hne hr hr_HR hsb hu hu_HU hy hy_AM ia id id_ID ii is is_IS it it_IT ja ja_JP jv ka ka_GE kab kk kk_KZ km kn kn_IN ko ko_KR kok ks ksw ku ku_IQ ky ky_KG la lb lg li lo lt lt_LT lv lv_LV mai me mg mi mk mk_MK ml mn mni mr ms ms_MY mt my nan nb nb_NO nds ne nl nl_BE nl_NL nn nn_NO no no_NO nqo nr nso oc om or pa pa_IN pam pap pl pl_PL ps pt pt_BR pt_PT rm ro ro_RO ru ru_RU rue rw sa sa_IN sah sat sc sco sd se shn si si_LK sk sk_SK sl sl_SI so son sq sq_AL sr sr_RS ss st sv sv_SE sw sw_TZ syc ta ta_IN ta_LK te tg tg_TJ th th_TH ti tig tk tl tlh tn tpi tr tr_TR ts tt tt_RU ug uk uk_UA ur ur_PK uz uz_UZ ve vi vi_VN wa wal wo xh yi zh zh_CN zh_HK zh_TW zu"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/packages"
PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/redcorelinux/amd64/packages/"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac aacplus acl alsa amd64 apng apparmor avahi avif bluetooth bluray btrfs bzip2 cairo cdda cet cli corefonts crypt cryptsetup cue cups curl dbus designer dri dri3 drm dts dv dvd egl elogind epub exif faac fdk ffmpeg flac fontconfig fortran gcrypt gdbm gif glamor gphoto2 gsm gstreamer gtk gtk3 gudev gui hardened heif http iconv icu introspection ios ipod ipv6 jack jemalloc jpeg jpeg2k jpegxl json kerberos keyring lame lcms ldap libass libglvnd libnotify libproxy libtirpc lto lz4 lzip lzma matroska mms mng mobi modemmanager modplug mp3 mpeg mpg123 mtp multilib ncurses nettle networkmanager nls nptl nvenc ogg openal opencl openexr opengl openmp openrc openssl opus pam pcre pdf perl pgo pie pipewire png policykit polkit postgres pulseaudio python qml qt5 qtmedia raw readline rtmp samba sasl screencast sdl sdl2 seccomp sftp sound soxr split-usr sqlite ssl ssp svg sysvinit taglib tcl teamd test-rust theora threads tiff tk truetype udev udisks unicode unwind upower v4l vaapi vala vcd vdpau vorbis vpx vulkan wavpack wayland webp x264 x265 xattr xcb xinerama xkb xml xmp xpm xtpax xvid xvmc zeroconf zlib zstd" ABI_X86="64 32" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2021" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-32 efi-64 pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics libinput" KERNEL="linux" L10N="ach af am an ar as ast az be bg bn bn-BD bn-IN bo br brx bs ca ca-valencia cak chr cs csb cy da de de-1901 dgo doi dsb dz el en en-GB en-US en-ZA eo es es-419 es-AR es-CL es-ES es-MX et eu fa ff fi fil fo fr fr-CA fy ga gd gl gn gu gug he hi hne hr hsb hu hy ia id is it ja ka kab kk km kmr-Latn kn ko kok ks ku ky la lb lij lo lt lv mai mi mk ml mn mni mr ms my nb nds ne nl nn no nr nso oc om or pa pl pt pt-BR pt-PT rm ro ru rw sa sat sco sd se si sid sk sl son sq sr sr-ijekavsk sr-Latn sr-Latn-ijekavsk sr-ME ss st sv sw sw-TZ syc ta ta-LK te tg th tk tl tn tr ts tt ug uk ur-PK uz uz-Cyrl ve vi wa xh zh zh-CN zh-HK zh-TW zu" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer pdfimport" LLVM_TARGETS="AMDGPU BPF NVPTX X86 AArch64 ARM WebAssembly" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-4 php8-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres12 postgres13" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_10" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_10" QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="x86_64 i386 aarch64" QEMU_USER_TARGETS="x86_64 i386 aarch64" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby30 ruby31" VIDEO_CARDS="intel i915 i965 iris nouveau r100 r200 r300 r600 vesa amdgpu radeonsi radeon vmware virgl" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq proto steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

#10 2023-06-26 16:54:27

V3n3RiX
Administrator

Myst wrote:

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/cache/packages'

Sisyphus already tells you what's wrong. Somehow you deleted the package cache directory. Just recreate it :

mkdir -p /var/cache/packages

#11 2023-06-26 17:00:43

V3n3RiX
Administrator

Red_Eric wrote:

Hi

Thanks kaiser this is exactly what i need to make my server hadened with an configured kernel for my laptop

Thanks V3n3RiX for these lines of code. For my part alone will not uninstall "emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/04.xbase.set|grep -v generated)" and "emerge --deselect $(cat /etc/portage/sets/05.xdrivers.set|grep -v generated)" because I need it to see my remote wordpress with Mobaxterm and its X forwarding.
You say in the home landing page << we can't expect to find a server application in the repository (apache, lighttpd, mysql, nginx, etc.) >> and that's what I need.
Question :
Can we with sisyphus install Apache2 php5 and myssql, their dependencies and their dev possibly ? smile

With my thanks and waiting for your reply big_smile

best regards wink

Eric

One can install whatever they want with sisyphus...however some Gentoo knowledge may be required to adjust USE flags, keywords and masks and unmasks. Since Redcore is a desktop oriented distro, we do not package apache, PHP and/or mysql/mariadb or any server components.  In fact the main page of our website clearly states :

For that reason one cannot expect to find any server application in the repository (apache, lighttpd, mysql, nginx etc.).

Board footer