Redcore Linux Project Forum

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Redcore Linux is. You have to see it for yourself!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-24 21:18:33

PerfMonk

Long, long, long, long, update

Hi,

I'm updating to new KDE 5.27.  It started loading the 1539 packages at 8h30 am and finished loading at 14h00 ...  Now it is still updating and is has done about half of the update (It's 16h30)  ...  EDIT - ok it just finished ven 24 fév 2023 17:19:59 EST.  So the whole thing lasted 10 hours ***

Everything is done with sisyphus on the command line and there is no packages compiled from source (that I know of).

I might as well be compiling with gentoo and it would be faster ...

I have noticed that only one CPU of the 8 that I gave to this VM is peaking at 70%; the others are mostly inactive.
only 1,6G from the 8G are used and no swap is used.

Is there any way to add some parallelism to the process ????  I could be installing 8 packages at the same time on the 8 processor. 
Is it possible to optimize the update process ???

Regards,
             Bernard

Last edited by PerfMonk (2023-02-24 22:25:28)

#2 2023-03-01 13:53:20

V3n3RiX
Administrator

Re: Long, long, long, long, update

PerfMonk wrote:

I might as well be compiling with Gentoo, and it would be faster ...

I don't want to sound like a smartass, but I doubt that...it took the build server four days to compile, with 48 cores.

Joke aside, an update of this scale only comes once per year, whenever we update the toolchain and rebuild everything with the new toolchain. We time the massive update to arrive simultaneously with a new ISO image release in case somebody prefers a fresh install instead of an update of this magnitude.

Unfortunately, portage is not parallel when it comes to installing the packages. It is highly parallel during compilation but still does one package at a time. The same update can take less time if a nvme disk is used instead of a mechanical drive.

I'm sorry if this creates an inconvenience. We do need to do this once per year.

#3 2023-03-05 20:27:19

PerfMonk

It's OK.  I'm not criticizing smile   Just looking for ways to improve speed of updating to the level of a binary distro.  Still looking cool

#4 2023-03-07 19:04:58

V3n3RiX
Administrator

There is something in development regarding that, for a while now actually. It improves the speed dramatically. I just don't have the time to actually finish the implementation. smile

Board footer