Redcore Linux Project Forum

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Redcore Linux is. You have to see it for yourself!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-24 17:14:06

greybiker456

What am I doing wrng?

I have used Linux for many years and tried all other distros but thought I'd give Redcore a try. Nice distro but upgrading is driving me to distraction. Some mirrors do not work at all, those that do work are so slow I have been upgrading for the past 18 hours ( hey like Windows 95 on dial up). Just what am I doing wrong or is this the norm?

#2 2022-10-24 21:49:40

V3n3RiX
Administrator

Re: What am I doing wrng?

That doesn't sound right. Unless you used emerge to perform the upgrade? Can you provide some more information?

sisyphus upgrade -e

Should be pretty quick....

#3 2022-10-25 12:50:17

greybiker456

I used the sisyphus Gui. When I tried using the terminal it would run for a few minutes then throw up error messages and stop. It finally upgraded after 21 hours.

#4 2022-10-28 04:31:39

PerfMonk

Read next post  Sisyphus timeout   and you'll find a temporary fix with emerge.

I think the infrastructure is very, very slow and that is a source of problem.
Improvement are needed for sisyphus to avoid the timeout and redownload of everything.
Parallel downloads would help too.

I guess it would be less problematic with a native Gentoo but it takes so long to compile and update that I wanted to consider a mostly binary distribution based on gentoo.  Bad, but good news all this can be eventually improved .... so we get a better experience with a really nice distro.

Regards,
           Bernard

#5 2022-10-29 14:51:45

greybiker456

It might just be my personal experience but I find the Princeton servers are totally useless to try and use. They appear to be very very slow and just stop for no logical reason after about 30 packages have been downloaded. i use the EU one now which is better but still slow.
However it is a very good distro and looks to be very stable. Applications are easy to install (albeit a bit slow at times but I am sure that will improve) and work, which is a lot better than some other Linux distros. I did see Flatpack on one of he upgrades but where it is or how you use it I have no idea yet - I will continue to experiment.

Last edited by greybiker456 (2022-10-29 15:01:01)

#6 2022-10-30 13:15:05

V3n3RiX
Administrator

PerfMonk wrote:

I think the infrastructure is very, very slow and that is a source of problem.
Improvement are needed for sisyphus to avoid the timeout and redownload of everything.
Parallel downloads would help too.

Download speeds from mirrors are out of our hands, since they are...mirrors. They just grab our packages and redistribute them. Princeton mirror is known to have troubles at times.

On the other hand, if you look up at the commit log I am working already to fix as many bugs in sisyphus' code as possible. Will just take a little while.

greybiker456 wrote:

I did see Flatpack on one of he upgrades but where it is or how you use it I have no idea yet - I will continue to experiment.

Menu -> System -> Discover, press Enable Flathub, enjoy flatpaks. Easy as pie!

Board footer