Redcore Linux Project Forum

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Redcore Linux is. You have to see it for yourself!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-08 12:05:29

Franko

Disk space

I have installed Redcore Linux on a 25 Gb partition. It seems to be taking up 20Gb despite my home folder being only 1.4 Gb. Why should it be taking up so much space and is there a way to clean up the system?

#2 2023-07-31 01:53:31

abd

Re: Disk space

The ISO installer file available is/are only that size ~4.4 GB containing real ~ 17.5-20 GB compressed data

No one yet create the version of minimal ISO installer file containig  minimal SO base files

#3 2023-08-12 10:13:33

V3n3RiX
Administrator

Re: Disk space

Franko wrote:

I have installed Redcore Linux on a 25 Gb partition. It seems to take up 20 GB despite my home folder being only 1.4 Gb. Why should it take up so much space and is there a way to clean up the system?

There is no bloat inside. The reason it takes so much space is we don't split packages. For example, Ubuntu will split Mesa into 10 packages or more, and generally, they don't install development headers by default. We don't do this splitting, if you install mesa in Redcore, you will install a full package as it came from upstream, not just bits and pieces based on arbitrary reasons.

If you do development on an Ubuntu system, you will find out that you need to install a significant amount of packages which contain development headers, depending on your requirements and the space occupied will come close to Redcore. On Redcore you have everything ready from the get-go.

Board footer